This is a great opportunity to join an established Technical team at the heart of a thriving maritime technology and inspection company. Idwal are market leaders in ship inspections. Our Idwal Grade® is widely recognised as the industry standard and we are known globally and operate across almost every port in the world. Supported by offices in the UK, Greece, and China, Idwal is a technology enabled business which conducts thousands of inspections every year utilising state of the art digital technologies, frameworks, and solutions. This position can either be office based or remote.
We are part of a one hundred year heritage within shipping with parent company, Graig, founded in the Welsh capital in 1919. Our Cardiff Headquarters is situated in the beautiful Cardiff Bay with modern, comfortable offices and close vicinity to a number of gorgeous locations for company social events. We also have a very ambitious growth and expansion plan for the business which we are very excited about.
WHAT'S IT LIKE AT IDWAL?
We’ve got a fairly unique environment, blending the essence of a modern tech company with the heritage and market knowledge of a 100 year-old shipping company. On the one hand, we have many of the positives associated with a tech business. We work in a fast-paced environment that encourages entrepreneurship and innovation, where we both empower and support our people. We’re also developing industry changing products using the latest technologies and are professionalising and challenging the market norms.
On the other hand, we don’t have the negatives associated with some tech startups. We’re well-funded, we’re established in market as a first class leader, and we’re a profitable business. Furthermore, we have very ambitious yet achievable growth targets, along with a
global client list that includes leading banks, financial institutions, private equity groups, ship owners, brokers, insurers and charterers.
We like to think of ourselves as a family, which isn’t surprising when you consider we originated from a third generation Welsh shipping family. We’re friendly and sociable, and regularly get together for team and charity events.
We also value our team. We make every effort to provide an environment where people enjoy coming to work and have the opportunity to thrive. As we have more than doubled our workforce in the last two years, there are plenty of opportunities for progression. Finally we have a great view of Cardiff Bay and an excellent coffee machine.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
On completion of training, partial responsibility will be held for allocated customer-related technical reports and review of surveyor-originated data in order to meet the required standards for the final product within prescribed deadlines.
Initially, all data will be passed to the senior technical team for a final review and sign off prior to release to the customer.
- General report processing, reviewing, re-writing and / or Quality Checking (QC) review of final reports within the technical team;
- Uploading and organisation of reports and supporting data to the ASIMS inspection management system;
- Downloading, organisation and sharing of various data from outsourced surveyors, in support of the internal processing requirements;
- Contributing to the delivery of Classification Records Reviews (CRR) and Remote Asset Reviews (RAR);
- Contributing to the successful delivery of bespoke project work as may be required from time to time, always under the strict direction of the Senior technical team;
- Contribution to surveyor feedback and performance loops, supporting surveyor performance standards and continuous improvement where possible;
- Responding to surveyor queries as they arise from time to time;
- Supporting compliance with the company’s quality management system as governed by the ISO:9001 standard;
- Attending and contributing to surveyor pre-inspection briefings and meetings with clients;
- Becoming fully familiar with the types of survey conducted by Idwal, how standards differ, how the products and final reports vary and offering technical support into each one:
- General condition inspections – key finance clients
- General condition inspections – general finance clients
- Pre-purchase inspections
- Pre-sale inspections
- Pre-charter vetting inspections
- General charterer vetting inspections
- Contributing effectively and suggesting any software or process changes which may be required in order to streamline the technical workload;
- Promote, protect and preserve the reputation of Idwal Marine Services and undertake any other tasks that may be requested from time to time.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Excellent work ethic
- Demonstrate teamwork, interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge, experience and understanding of safety and quality management practices in the marine industry
- Good knowledge of International Maritime Regulations and Marine Industry standards
- Self-motivated, well-organised and able to work without direct supervision
- Nautical or Engineering based degree and/or OOW (II/1) or EOOW (III/1)
- Previous experience as a marine surveyor
- Previous experience in a marine shore based role
- 5 years sea time
Interested? Get in touch with our recruitment team to find out more. Either send your CV or LinkedIn profile to email@example.com or speak to Allison Hetherton on 02920 446 644.